several Qs about the standards

Tagged: ,

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    starksj
    Participant

When assessing KCC3, should teachers accept numbers written backwards? Should teachers accept a 14 that is written as 41 if a child tells you they mean 14?

When assessing KG5, should a student be expected to draw a square accurately and if not, what would be considered acceptablel?

There is nothing in the CCSS for kindergarten about identifying numbers.  Our teachers have just added that to their assessments, but is there a reason that was left off?

It is my opinion that number words should be assessed as part of literacy, but some have included it as part of their math assessment.  What is your opinion on that topic?

Bill McCallum
    Keymaster

The first question is really about teaching, not about the standards. Obviously a student who writes 14 backwards does not yet meet the standard. But it seems equally obvious to me that if the same students says that he or she means 14, then this is a matter of development, not mathematical understanding. I leave it to the expert Kindergarten teacher to decide how to handle this matter.

The same applies to your second question; a Kindergarten teacher knows much better than I do what to expect and how to guide a student.

As for the third question, students are expected to read numbers up to 120 in Grade 1:

1.NBT.1. Count to 120, starting at any number less than 120. In this range, read and write numerals and represent a number of objects with a written numeral.

Students in Kindergarten will probably start identifying numbers 1–20 as they work to meet the standards K.CC.1–3, but you are correct that it is not a formal requirement in Kindergarten. The emphasis in Kindergarten is on knowing the count sequence and representing the number of objects in a group with words and written symbols. I’m not sure what assessments you are talking about, but putting this into a summative assessment goes beyond the standards. Of course, teachers might well want to know what students can do with writing numbers in order to inform their teaching.

I’m not sure what your fourth question is. The cluster heading for K.CC.1–3 says “Know number names and the count sequence.” So, it is in the math standards that students should know number words. But are you talking about reading or writing them? That could be part of a literacy assessment, I agree.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.