References

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jsmith
    Participant

Just started reading the K-6 Geometry progressions document and noticed (pretty much on the first page) a lot of ideas – possibly even verbatim text – from van Hiele, but no citations. Next pages looks like it has something from “The Classification of Quadrilaterals”, I’m not totally sure, but at least there is a mention of Usiskin.

I’m guessing there’s a few uncited ideas in here, which is a pity, since references would be useful.

Is this a convention I’m not aware of?

Regards

Cathy Kessel
    Participant

Jack, the main purpose of the progressions is described here: ime.math.arizona.edu/progressions/. It is not communication of education research to education researchers, so I think you’re in a minority as regards usefulness of references. From your point of view as a researcher, you might think of the progressions as being somewhat more like a methods book (e.g., Van de Walle) than like a research article.

Verbatim text without citation would, of course, be a violation of copyright. That’s why when something is quoted verbatim in the progressions the reference is given, though in a very brief format as with the Usiskin reference. (The quote about T(E) and T(I) should be completely indented. That will help it look more like a quote.)

Ideas are a different matter. The progressions don’t give references for who invented the box plot (John Tukey, 1977, refining Mary Eleanor Spear’s “range bar,” 1952). Similarly, the van Hiele ideas have been refined since the van Hieles wrote (which was between the 1950s and 1980s). That’s reflected in the geometry progression. Similarly, a lot of ideas such as quotitive and partitive interpretations of division have passed into more common use (although maybe under different names).

jsmith
    Participant

thanks

Bill McCallum
    Keymaster

By the way, this progression was largely written by Doug Clements, so it’s not surprising that it shows an awareness of the research. Once all the progressions are in final form and put together in a single document, we will probably add an introduction explaining the purpose and the policy on various issues, and acknowledging all those who helped write them.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.