Not sure about MCC9-12.G.SRT.5 and others

Home Forums Questions about the standards 7–12 Geometry Not sure about MCC9-12.G.SRT.5 and others

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    kpillow

I’m a high school teacher in Georgia, and I teach a course called Coordinate Algebra. Many of the standards leave me wondering what it is I should do to convey a particular standard; they seem vague. For example,

MCC9-12.G.SRT.5 Use congruence and similarity criteria for triangles to
    solve problems and to prove relationships in geometric figures.

While I do appreciate some freedom in which to work, my knowing what the
    students will be responsible for knowing can be considered important. In other words, what relationships? One way I interpret this standard is that a student would be given a random relationship and asked to use his knowledge to prove that relationship.

Can you clear up my confusion over the “versatility” of the
    standards? Am I looking at this too closely or not close enough? Thanks.

Bill McCallum
    Keymaster

First, this standard is not necessarily about coordinate algebra at all. It is more about using the basic similarity and congruence criteria to solve problems with more complex figures. A simple example might be showing that the diagonals of a parallelogram bisect each other. Using this diagram, randomly chosen from the internet

Paralellogram

one might first observe that $\triangle AOE$ is similar to $\triangle COB$, using the AAA criterion, and then use the congruence of opposite sides (previously proven) to conclude that the two triangles are congruent, and hence that $AO = OC$ and $BO = OD$. Of course, one can condense this argument with a direct appeal to the ASA criterion for congruence, but I quite like breaking it apart this way in this case, since the similarity is what first arises from the basic properties of transversals, and then the congruence depends on a previously established result.

Here is another very nice example, more complicated. It is a good example of looking for and making use of structure, because if you draw auxiliary lines parallel to the sides through E and F you see all sorts of similar triangles and can chain the ratios between them to solve the problem (I won’t spoil it for you by giving the solution).

I realize this doesn’t really give you the guidance you are asking for, but perhaps it will set some ideas in motion for the geometry course.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by Bill McCallum.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.