Concept of a "ten"

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Jason Zimba
    Participant

I was asked the following question and thought it might be productive to post it here, along with the answer I gave:

>During a lesson on the numbers 11-19 a kindergarten child looks at a filled ten frame drawn on the board and says that’s 10 because that’s a 10 frame and a 10 frame holds 10.

>Would you consider that exercising K level reasoning? Or making use of structure?

I replied to this with the following quick thoughts, which I’m simply pasting in here now: 

First, remember that the concept of a ten as a unit is a grade 1 expectation (1.NBT.2a), so the standards don’t require this kind of work with kindergarteners.

Not that they couldn’t work with ten-frames or get into grade 1 material early if desired, but it isn’t expected.

As to the question itself, I think what the student’s statement might show is some measurement thinking. Effectively, she has learned the value of a conventional unit of measure (the “ten-frame”). This seems more like acculturation than mathematics. I think it isn’t possible to know, just from her words, whether she is unitizing the 10. (Which again is a grade 1 expectation.)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.