Common addition and subtraction situations

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    sbittle
    Participant

On page 9 of the progressions, there is a table 2 shows which addition and subtraction situtuations should be mastered in Kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd.  This table is slightly different from the table used on pg. 88 of the standards. In the standards, the order of the Put Together/Take Apart row shows Total Unknown, Addend Unknown, Both Addends Unknown.  In table 2 of the progressions, the order of this row is Total Unknown, Both Addends Unknown, Addend Unknown.  I want to be sure and let Kindergarten know the correct situations for their grade-level, and was just about to send out the four out to my teachers when I noticed the switched order.  Can you clarify which situations are the Kindergarten problem subtypes?  Thanks.

Cathy Kessel
    Participant

Yes, these are correct. We switched the order so that the kindergarten situations would be adjacent to each other in the table (trying to make it easier to read).

In the CCSS, the table didn’t have that problem because details about when various problem types occur are only listed in the cluster headings and the overviews for the grades. The reader needs to do the work of connecting those with the table. The cluster heading for OA in kindergarten says: “Understand addition as putting together and adding to, and understand subtraction as taking apart and taking from.” That corresponds to the four dark grey cells in the progressions table 2.

In grade 1, 1OA1 is more explicit and says,

“Use addition and subtraction within 20 to solve word problems involving situations of adding to, taking from, putting together, taking apart, and comparing, with unknowns in all positions, e.g., by using objects, drawings, and equations with a symbol for the unknown number to represent the problem.” It also has a footnote directing the reader to the table.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.