8.EE.7 Translating verbal expressions to algebra?

Home Forums Questions about the standards General questions about the mathematics standards 8.EE.7 Translating verbal expressions to algebra?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Brian

Bill,

The language in standard 8.EE.7 does not directly mention translating verbal expressions or real world story problems into algebraic expressions or equations. Do you know if this is intended or assumed in the standard? Is translating verbal expressions or real world story problems (involving one variable) into algebraic expressions or equations a part of this standard? I am trying to determine this for curriculum planning purposes. Thanks for your time and help, I appreciate it.
    Brian

Bill McCallum
    Keymaster

Brian, the work with story problems starts in Grade 7 with 7.EE.4: “Use variables to represent quantities in a real-world or mathematical problem, and construct simple equations and inequalities to solve problems by reasoning about the quantities.” Part (a) of this restricts the equations to those that can be solved in one-step. 8.EE.7 then lifts this restriction, but it should be assumed that work on using equations to solve real-world and mathematical problems continues, i.e, they don’t become suddenly decontextualized in Grade 8.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.