7.G.3

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jim
    Participant

7.G.3. Describe the two-dimensional figures that result from slicing three dimensional figures, as in plane sections of right rectangular prisms and right rectangular pyramids.

This standard, taken to its fullest extent, becomes quite involved.  Is the expectation implicit in the standard that the level of specificity be comparable to that  found in the following link?

Click to access EN_GE0910C3_6.pdf

Bill McCallum
    Keymaster

I suppose there are many standards that, when taken to their fullest extend, become quite involved. As a matter of common sense, we can’t take all standards to their fullest extent all the time. That said, this strikes me as a nice activity aligned to 7.G.3 if the teacher has the time in the curriculum. The standard does not ask students to describe all possible cross-sections, and I think it would be absurd to make that a curricular requirement. But the activity of trying to find all possible cross-sections is another matter. Not all students will be able to find them all, but the process of trying is good mathematical exercise, bearing not only the specific content standards but also on the mathematical practice of perseverance (MP1).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.