6.EE.2b

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    bbaggett
    Participant

The example in 6.EE.2b says:  “describe the expression 2(8 + 7) as a product of two factors; view (8 + 7) as both a single entity and a sum of two terms”.  In the progressions it states “They describe the struct 2(8 + 7) for example as a product of two factors the second of which (8 + 7) can be viewed as both a single entity and a sum of two terms.”

The question that has come up in my district is, for the expression 2(8 + 7) as a whole…..can it be seen as having 2 terms in it’s unsimplified version and as having 1 term in its simplified version?

Bill McCallum
    Keymaster

I’m not sure which you mean by the simplified version and which you mean by the unsimplified version. Both 2×(8+7) and 2×8 + 2×7 are equally simple to my eyes. The standards use the word “term” for summands in a sum, so the second of these expressions has two terms (each of which is a product). I suppose you could say the first expression has one term, but that seems a bit odd to me; I would say it is a product with two factors, the second of which is a sum of two terms.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.