2.NBT.2 – Skip Counting

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ginnybaldwin
    Participant

When creating Learn Zillion lessons, we want to make sure that we are addressing skip counting by 5’s correctly. 2.NBT.2 states, “Count within 1000; skip-count by 5s, 10s, and 100s.” The unpacked document emphasizes skip counting from ANY number.

Does this mean that we are skip counting from ANY multiple of 5 such as 245, 250, … or does it mean that students skip count by ANY number such as 43, 48, 53, 58 to build fluency?

Bill McCallum
    Keymaster

Again, please tell me which unpacked document you are talking about. I looked around on the web a bit and didn’t find anything where “skip counting” meant starting from a number other than a multiple of 5, so I would say that starting from any number is certainly not required by this standard. That doesn’t mean it is forbidden, of course. And it does seem reasonable to start from any multiple of 5.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The only “unpacking document” that I managed to come across was North Carolina’s resource material, which states that 2nd graders are expected to “count on from any number,” but only in the context of counting by 1s. Thereafter, skip-counting is explained in a way that favors starting with a multiple of the increment skipped.

However, I did come across a couple examples where skip-counting is not confined to multiples only. Both are skip-counting worksheet generators that allow for the listing of non-multiples of the skipped increment. The second site is particularly telling, because the example worksheet that it shows is a list of non-multiples.

Seeing that “skip-counting” is actually a broader term than the intended meaning in 2.NBT.2, would this warrant documentation that the standard does not require skip-counting from a non-multiple?

(I had trouble getting the links to show, so I apologize if they are missing. I could show them otherwise, if necessary.)

Anonymous
    Inactive

I couldn’t get the links to show, nor was I able to edit the post to show the web addresses. I’ll try here, but if it still doesn’t take, I’d have to show them some other way.

http://www.math-aids.com/Skip_Counting/Skip_Counting_Advanced.html
    http://www.worksheetworks.com/math/numbers/skip-counting.html

Bill McCallum
    Keymaster

Yes, it seems we should document this in the progressions document, thanks. It’s interesting that both examples are online tools for skip counting. It’s probably easier to program if you don’t insist on multiples.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.