1NBT4

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    lprice

Can you help answer a question that we have about adding two-digit numbers? We were discussing if this standard means that first graders should only add a two-digit and a one-digit number or a two-digit number and a multiple of ten or if they should also be introduced to adding two 2-digit numbers neither of which are multiples of ten. The end of the standard seemed to suggest that they maybe should be introduced to the later and the example in the progression shows a problem with two 2-digit numbers. We all understand that we are not expecting first graders to use the standard algorithm but rather math tools, pictures, etc to find the sum. We are just unsure about what type of numbers the standard calls for our students to add.

Thank you for your help

Bill McCallum
    Keymaster

Any problem where the sum is less than 100 is included here. The point of the “including” was to make sure that these simpler types of problems were not neglected for their power to reveal the role of the base 10 system in two-digit addition.

I find this standard really unclear. I even tried to reason some clarification by reading kindergarten and second grade standards related to this topic. I honestly hoped that the standard was meant to allow more time with and understanding of what happens numerically when adding 2 digit numbers and multiples of ten. I think the ability to add 10 to a number is crucial in later math as students decompose and recompose numbers to make addition easier with numbers that make sense. The second grade standard did not mention multiples so I thought that meant in third grade that any addition problem was fair game as long as it met the number of digit requirements. Maybe some better wording would have been with special emphasis on being sure to include 2 digit numbers and multiples of 10.

Bill McCallum
    Keymaster

I’m a little confused by this comment, because 1.NBT.4 does explicitly call for “adding a two-digit number and a multiple of 10,” which seems to be what you are asking for? Can you clarify your concern?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.