Use of technology: S.ID.6

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I think it’s interesting how little talk there is on the Statistics and Probability strand. I hope that isn’t an indication of the level of importance being placed on it by teachers…

My comment is about fitting functions to data (linear, exponential, quadratic) and plotting residuals. From my reading of the Progression document, I am gathering that these concepts are developed with technology. We are not expecting students to do any sort of least square regression or (complex) residual plotting without the use of technology. I can see nailing down the idea of residual by calculating a plotting a few by hand – but not an entire plot. Is that right? – and are there areas I am missing where technology is appropriate (almost necessary) and others where it is not?

Bill McCallum
    Keymaster

Yes, this sounds about right to me. MP5 (Use appropriate tools strategically) puts the ball in the court of curriculum developers to make these decisions, but I think Statistics and Probability is an obvious area where technology will play a role, simply because the subject doesn’t really come to life until you start looking a data sets of a decent size.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.