The structure is the standards? Clusters & Focus topics

Home Forums Questions about the standards General questions about the mathematics standards The structure is the standards? Clusters & Focus topics

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Jkatsikas

I am hoping to understand better the concept of the clusters (and Focus Topics) in the math standards. I have seen some school districts restructuring the standards to the sequences under the Focus topic, but I also read in the Appendix of the Publisher’s criteria that the “Structure is in the Standards”. This has led to some confusion on my part as the standards do not seem to be in cohesive groups when under the clusters. I understand that the concept clusters should be linked to the standards & will spiral throughout my teaching, but would like some clarification as to the sequencing of math skills.

One example I’d like to share is from Third Grade. I am including the focus topics for our first and second cycles as well as the standards that were tested.

· Focus Topic 1: Exploring Equal Groups as a Foundation for Multiplication and Division (3.OA.1 & 3.OA.2, 3.OA.3, 3.OA.7)
    · Focus Topic 2: Develop Conceptual Understanding of Area (3.OA.5, 3.MD.5, 3.MD.6, 3.MD.7)
    · Focus Topic 3: Relating Addition and Subtraction to Length (3.NBT.1, 3.NBT.2, 3.MD.8)

Items tested at the end of this cycle​ ​ ​
    3.OA.1
    3.OA.2 3.OA.5 3.MD.6 3.MD.7 a 3.OA.3 3.OA.7 3.MD.5 b 3.OA.3

· Focus Topic 4: Understanding Unit Fractions (3.G.2, 3.NF.1, 3.NF.2)
    · Focus Topic 5: Using fractions in measurement and data (3.NF.1, 3.NF.2, 3.MD.4)
    · Focus Topic 6: Solving Addition and Subtraction problems involving measurement (3.MD.1, 3.NBT.1, 3.MD.2)
    · Focus topic 7: Understanding the relationship between multiplication and division (3.OA.2, 3.OA.3, 3.OA.6, 3.OA.7)

Items tested at the end of this cycle ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​
    3.OA.2 3.MD.6 3.NF.1 3.G.2 3.NF.2 a 3.NF.2 b 3.MD.1 3.MD.2 3.NBT.1 3.OA.3 3.OA.6 3.OA.7

Focus topic #6 was singled out as one our students had difficulty with: “Solving addition and subtraction problems involving measurement” and the standards included were:
    3.MD.1: Tell & w​rite time to the nearest minute and measure time intervals in minutes. Solve word problems involving addition & subtraction of time intervals.
    ​3.NBT.1: Use place value understanding to round whole numbers to the nearest 10 or 100.
    ​3.MD.2: Measure & estimate liquid volumes and massess of objects using standard unit of grams, kilograms, and liters. Add subtract, multiply and divide to solve one step word problems involving masses or volumes that are given in the same units.
    Each standard was assessed with only one question, so I’m not sure how we can draw reliable and valid conclusions based on this.

My understanding was that the Common Core was supposed to help us delve deeper into fewer topics in a way that relates concepts, so I am hoping for some clarification to verify that we are grouping these concepts in a way that can best support students’ learning.

Thank you for any guidance you might offer.​

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.