simplifying radicals

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    bbaggett
    Participant

8.NS.2 asks students to use rational approximations of irrational numbers to compare the size of irrationsal numbers, locat them on a number line diagram and estimate the value of expressions. 8.EE.2 says to use square root and cube root symbols to represent solutions to equations of the form x^2 = p and x^3 = p and to evaluate tje square roots of small perfect squares and cube roots of small perfect cubes.

So….this does not look to me like 8th grade students should be simplifying radicals since 8th grade is the first time students have worked with square roots and cube roots (and the standards say specifically perfect squares and perfect cubes). But, I don’t see anything in the high school standards that says where simplifying radicals should be taught. My Algebra I teachers believe it should be in 8th grade. My 8th grade teachers believe it should be in Algebra I. What was the intention?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Seems to me this is addressed in N-RN.2: Rewrite expressions involving radicals and rational exponents using the properties of exponents.

Sarah Stevens
    Participant

There was a similar question in the 6-8 Number System strand, which Bill replied to. You can find it here. http://commoncoretools.me/forums/topic/simplifying-radicals-2/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.