Progressions Draft

Home Forums Questions about the standards HS Modeling Progressions Draft

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    lhwalker
    Participant

In my opinion, this progression explains very clearly why we need to move to an integrated math sequence at the high school level. It is very well done. I would suggest a couple of edits.

The bottom of page 3 begins a very long sentence that might best be broken up for easier reading. Maybe, “The following advice is attributed to Einstein ….simpler.’ We can aptly argue the choice of the model: C(t) = p + at as being ‘as simple as possible.’ Trying to make the model ‘simpler’ by dropping the purchase price p or the term at would delete…cost differences”

Page 4: Things that affect the model but whose behavior not characteristics the model is not designed to study–inputs or independent variables.

Page 5: Especially in…derivation of a formula. I do not understand what this means.

Page 6: Graphing utilities and dynamic geometry software produce revealing models using technology. I’m wondering what graphing utilities and software do not use technology 😉

Page 15: Later, as students… I had to really think about what this is saying. Maybe something like:
    “Later, as students are challenged to develop more complex models. Two or more simple equations may be combined in to one formula using substitution. For example, volume = … surface area = … cost = where 10 < V < 20, could be combined into one conjunctive inequality.

Pate 18
    R, i. e. (spacing)

• This topic was modified 10 years, 9 months ago by lhwalker.
    • This topic was modified 10 years, 9 months ago by lhwalker.
    Bill McCallum
    Keymaster

Thanks Lane for these careful edits!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.