measurement conversion in 5th grade

Home Forums Questions about the standards K–5 Measurement and Data measurement conversion in 5th grade

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    kconese
    Participant

What are your thoughts on measurement conversion for 5th grade (20%)?  Will students be expected to be able to convert linear, volume, mass, time in both standard and metric units?

Bill McCallum
    Keymaster

In PARCC the Grade 5 MD cluster “Convert like measurement units within a given measurement system” is listed as a supporting standard, which means it is linked to major clusters such as fractions. I see this as signaling that unit conversion will often be embedded in other problems, rather becoming an extensive separate topic on its own. Assessments will likely establish some limits on how many different systems are expected from your list, since this is not specified in the standards themselves.

TeamMetric
    Participant

(Note: I understand the difference between the metric system and SI.)

I am so glad to have this topic discussed. My reading of the standards taken below is that students should convert within the same system not between customary (inch-pound) units and metric units. Is this not correct?

(http://www.corestandards.org/Math/Content/5/MD)
    Convert like measurement units within a given measurement system.
    CCSS.Math.Content.5.MD.A.1 Convert among different-sized standard measurement units within a given measurement system (e.g., convert 5 cm to 0.05 m), and use these conversions in solving multi-step, real world problems.

In reviewing the sample PARC test questions and the approved textbooks/ workbooks, conversions between the two different “systems” are still required and I assume prevalent based on the fact that I am only looking at sample questions?

Bill McCallum
    Keymaster

I think the standard is pretty clear in limiting conversion to within systems, and I think your understanding of that is correct. Can you give an example from one of the sample PARCC test questions? If they are requiring conversion between different systems in Grade 5, that goes beyond the standards.

team metric partner
    Participant

The PARCC prototype item mentioned by TEAM METRIC actually dealt with grade 6 ratios and proportional reasoning. I was mistaken to think that it was evidence of requiring conversions between customary and metric units. However, nearly all the prototype items containing measurement units included customary units rather than metric. I wondered if this was an indication of the focus being placed on the customary system.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.