Ideas for 7.G.3

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    SSgtMath

Hello Everyone,

I recently started making math videos that give teachers ideas on how they can teach math common core standards. This is my first one and I was wondering if I could get some of your feedback. I really appreciate your time! Thank you!

lhwalker
    Participant

I really like your idea of slicing food like this. I would add a clear statement of the objective at the beginning, something like, “Seventh grade standard G.3 requires students to describe the two-dimensional figures that result from slicing three dimensional figures.” “Vertex” is in the high school standards but I don’t see it in the lower grades, so maybe it would be better to just show we can slice three different ways without using the word “vertex.” You might want to include quick examples like a stack of 3×5 cards. I love the way this standard can lead into calculus and your example of sliced objects does that well.

nathan118
    Participant

I want to look into making a bunch of playdough, having kids form it into a “cube” (you can get it pretty close by hand), and then let them cut it with a plastic knife or floss or something. Could make them draw the different cross sections they create. Or have them snap a photo and email it to you to show to the class.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.