Descriptive Modeling

Home Forums Questions about the standards HS Modeling Descriptive Modeling

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Bonny

In the initial draft of the CCSS, the standard for N.Q.3 (the descriptive modeling standard) was worded “Define metrics for the purpose of descriptive modeling…” In the most recent version, the standard is “Define appropriate quantities for the purpose of descriptive modeling.”

Was the change from “metrics” to “quantities” intentional to change the meaning of the standard, or is it just the same standard reworded to sound more friendly? I’m struggling to find material for this concept and to interpret its meaning (correctly).

Could you also give some other examples (besides the fatalities example)? This standard is a bit vague to me, and I would appreciate any help on the topic.

Thanks!

Bill McCallum

(This is N-Q.2, not N-Q.3.) It was the second thing you suggest, to make the standard clearer (a lot of reviewers had trouble with “metrics”). As an example, if you were modeling traffic flow, you might come up with cars per minute (passing a certain point) to measure flow, or cars per mile per lane to measure how closely packed the traffic was.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.