Choosing a Data Display, Misleading Data Displays

Home Forums Questions about the standards 6–8 Statistics and Probability Choosing a Data Display, Misleading Data Displays

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jim
    Participant

If I am reading the standards correctly, as far as I can tell, there is nothing in the standards that requires choosing a data display.  Neither do I see anything which addresses misleading data displays.

Of course, this does not mean that it is forbidden, simply that it is not required.

Bill McCallum
    Keymaster

You are correct that it is not explicit, but I think it is very much suggested. The standard

S-ID.A.1. Represent data with plots on the real number line (dot plots, histograms, and box plots).

suggests an act of choice to me, and more generally the phrase “Summarize, represent, and interpret …” in the cluster headings S-ID.A and S-ID.B includes both choosing a data display (in order to represent) and detecting possible misinterprations from one that is misleading. Bear in mind also that all the Statistics and Probability standards in high school carry the modeling star and therefore link to the description of modeling on pages 72–73, including the sentence

Modeling is the process of choosing and using appropriate mathematics and statistics to analyze empirical situations, to understand them better, and to improve decisions.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.