6.EE.7

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    bbaggett
    Participant

This standard reads “solve real-world and mathematical problems by writing and solving equations of the form x + p = q and px = q for cases in which p, q, and x are all nonnegative rational numbers.  Does this mean that 6th grade should ONLY focus on questions involving addition and multiplication?  Or are these merely examples and students in 6th grade are expected to be able to solve equations including subtraction and division?  Of course, we understand that, in a problem such as x – 7 = 11, the – 7 is both a negative number and subtraction, so we weren’t sure if this type of problem is an expectation at 6th grade.

Bill McCallum
    Keymaster

This question has come up before, here. But I agree that it is odd to exclude equations like $x-7=11$. I don’t think division is excluded; an equation like $x \div 5 = 3$ could be written as $(1/5)x = 3$, and probably should be at this grade level.

bcohen
    Participant

Bill,

Are the included forms, x + p = q and px = q, intended to limit work in this grade to solving one-step equations? 

How about with a variable on both sides?  (ex., 3p+6=4p)

Thanks,

Brian

Bill McCallum
    Keymaster

Yes, the idea is to limit to one-step equations in Grade 6.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Bill,

I understand that we need to teach x-2 = 5 to our 6th grade students. My question is, how would you go about teaching it if the students don’t have the concept of zero pairs (-2+2)?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Bill,

I understand that we will be teaching 6th grade students x-2=5. My questions is: how do we go about teaching it if students are not familiar with the concept of zero pairs? (-2+2)

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think 6.NS.5 is the standard you are looking for:

Understand that positive and negative numbers are used together to describe quantities having opposite directions or values (e.g., temperature above/below zero, elevation above/below sea level, credits/debits, positive/negative electric charge); use positive and negative numbers to represent quantities in real-world contexts, explaining the meaning of 0 in each situation.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.