5.OA.3

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    dward
    Participant

I am not sure I understand the intent of this standard. The Progression document that discusses this standard says:

Students extend their Grade 4 pattern work by working briefly
    with two numerical patterns that can be related and examining these
    relationships within sequences of ordered pairs and in the graphs
    in the first quadrant of the coordinate plane.5.OA.3 This work pre-pares students for studying proportional relationships and functions
    in middle school.

I am hoping that someone might provide another interpretation of this standard and how the skills will connect to the study of proportional relationships and functions.

• This topic was modified 10 years, 4 months ago by Bill McCallum.
    Bill McCallum
    Keymaster

I agree this standard is a little opaque. But I’m also having trouble understanding what your question is. Here’s the standard:

Generate two numerical patterns using two given rules. Identify apparent relation- ships between corresponding terms. Form ordered pairs consisting of corresponding terms from the two patterns, and graph the ordered pairs on a coordinate plane.

The standard then goes on to give an example:

For example, given the rule “Add 3” and the starting number 0, and given the rule “Add 6” and the starting number 0, generate terms in the resulting sequences, and observe that the terms in one sequence are twice the corresponding terms in the other sequence. Explain informally why this is so.

So, students would generate 0, 3, 6, 9, etc., and then generate 0, 6, 12, 18, etc., and then they would notice that all the numbers in the second pattern are twice those in the first pattern. Notice that this is not something explicitly given to them … it is a consequence of the fact that 6 is twice 3. Later, in studying the proportional relationship $y = 2x$, students might make tables of $x$ and $y$ values where they notice the same thing: adding 3 (or any other number) to a value in the $x$ column results in adding 6 (or twice that number) to the value in the $y$ column. The process of forming ordered pairs and graphing them is preparation for making tables and graphs of relationships between varying quantities.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.