3.OA.9

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    khughes

In the 3.OA.9 standard, students need to identify arithmetic patterns and explain them using properties of operations. I cannot find much elaboration on this standard other than the example provided in the standard itself.I was wondering if someone could provide a more complete description and/or more examples. I did not see it addressed in the Learning Progressions.
    In the past, 3rd grade students in our state have done tasks such at the following, given a pattern such as red, blue, green, red, blue, green, students would need to find the color of the 20th cube for example. They would need to describe patterns such as all of the green cubes are a multiple of 3, the blue cubes are 1 less than a multiple of 3 and so on. Is this an example for this standard?
    Any insights are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Bill McCallum
    Keymaster

Illustrative Mathematics has some illustrations of 3.OA.D.9.

As for your example, I guess the question is whether it counts as an arithmetic pattern, and how properties of operations are used make the conclusions. I’m not really seeing that right now, but maybe it works.

khughes

Thank you for the clarification. I believe my example is an arithmetic pattern but I agree with you that I do not how see a property of operations is used but rather it is generalizing a rule. I believe that is grade 4. So, I think my question was really whether the patterns in grade 3 are limited to those associated with properties of operations, and you answered that question. Thank you for the speedy reply.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.