3.G.1 vs. 4.G.2

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    dseabold
    Participant

It seems as though talking about parallel sides and the types of angles in figures would be very helpful to pull 3.G.1 off. In fact, in looking at the Geometry Progression, on page 13 (3rd grade), it even mentions using parallel sides as a category in the example in the right margin. My question is how can informatoin about parallel sides or specific angles be used to categorize shapes in 3rd grade with this is not called for until 4th GRADE with 4.G.A.2:
    CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.4.G.A.2
    Classify two-dimensional figures based on the presence or absence of parallel or perpendicular lines, or the presence or absence of angles of a specified size. Recognize right triangles as a category, and identify right triangles.

Bill McCallum
    Keymaster

Good question, and I think different curricula might approach this differently. Some might choose to introduce some of these Grade 4 concepts in an informal way in Grade 3. But I would point out that the classification into squares, rhombuses, and rectangles really only requires an ability to recognize angles as square angles or not, and an ability to detect when pairs of sides, or all four sides, are equal in length. This could be the right way to approach this with 3rd graders.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.