2.MD.8

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jim
    Participant

2.MD.8. Solve word problems involving dollar bills, quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies, using $ and ¢ symbols appropriately. Example: If you have 2 dimes and 3 pennies, how many cents do you have?

Seeing as decimals are not introduced until the 4th grade, would a problem like:
    If you have 1 one-dollar bill, 2 dimes, and 3 pennies, how much money do you have?  Express your answer using the $ sign.
    be outside the scope of this standard?
    How about:
    If you have 1 one-dollar bill, 2 dimes, and 3 pennies, how much money do you have?  Express your answer using the ¢ sign.
    Here students must know that 1 dollar is also 100 cents, but now it is moving into addition that is not within 100, also outside of grade level standards.
    A third variant:
    If you have 1 one-dollar bill, 2 dimes, and 3 pennies, how much money do you have?  Express your answer using the $ and ¢ signs.
    If this expects an answer such as $1 and 23¢, then it seems like this version is a within the standards.
    Am I reading this correctly?

Kelly Ugwu-Oju

I would also love to hear thoughts on this question, particularly since the progressions documents don’t seem to discuss 2.MD.7 or 2.MD.8. Thanks!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Bill McCallum.
    Bill McCallum
    Keymaster

My instinct as that versions 2 and 3 are fine but version 1 is outside scope. For version 2, although it’s true that students are not adding beyond 100 in grade 2, they are supposed to know that the 3 digits of a 3 digit number represent amounts of 100s, 10s, and 1s (2.NBT.A.1), and that’s what really comes into play in version 2.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.