2.G.1

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Does this standard mean that second grade students should be able to draw three-dimensional shapes? It is clear which shapes they should be able to identify, but not which shapes they should be able to recognize and draw based on attributes. I read the Geometric progressions and it doesn’t clarify there either. Our students are assessed on their ability to draw a shape with four rectangular faces and 2 square faces. Does this align with 2.G.1?

Bill McCallum
    Keymaster

I could imagine a classroom activity where students try to draw three-dimensional shapes and compare their work, but I don’t think it would be reasonable to put that on a summative assessment. (I think assessment in grade 2 should be mostly formative anyway.) Note that in general the standards are not assessment frameworks; they are just statements of the things we want students to know and be able to do at each grade level. The PARCC and Smarter Balanced assessments make judgements about limits on assessment, although they don’t offer guidance here because they start in Grade 3.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.